welcome
Niagara County Historty and Links to more information View upcoming events & activities Historical Photos Bicentennial Merchandise - shirts, hats & more! Bicentennial Committee Links to Niagara County Community Information! Find out how to support the Bicentennial Celebration!
old falls logo new falls fireworks
moments
The Trowbridge Connection

Most residents of Niagara County have probably heard of an age-old name whose progeny helped settle Lockport, the Trowbridge family. Even occasional commuters to Lockport have probably heard of the street named after the family, but most would not know that there are three streets in Lockport named after this famous family, Trowbridge Street, Windsor Street and Phelps Street. The later two are named for the sister and brother-in-law of the Trowbridge brothers; Windsor, Cyrus and John T. Trowbridge. The family began to arrive in early Lockport by 1823.

Windsor Trowbridge operated a brickyard at the site of the present North Park School. At a certain point, he sold the business to Aaron Mossell, an African American who is credited with integrating the Lockport School District. Prior to Mossellís efforts, Lockport had white and colored schools that served to separate the races.

Windsor Trowbridge also built the Dr. Samuel Outwater brick home at 215 Niagara Street in 1867, the current site of the History Center in Lockport. This beautiful red brick home, like many others in the young community was built from Trowbridge bricks.

Cyrus Trowbridge distinguished himself in military spirit at first at the battle of Sackett Harbor, and then attaining the rank of Brigadier General in the NYS militia. His commission was dated 1819 and was signed by Governor DeWitt Clinton. Accordingly, General Trowbridge was honored by Clinton to join the governor as his guest on board his packet boat, Seneca Chief, during the famous Wedding of the Waters trip from Buffalo to New York City to open the Erie Canal in 1825.

Douglas Farley, Director
Erie Canal Discover Center
24 Church St.
Lockport NY 14094
716.439.0431
CanalDiscovery@aol.com
www.NiagaraHistory.org

Previous Moments
Biddle Stairs to the Falls
10/22/07

The Trowbridge Connection
10/22/07

The Roar of Niagara
10/15/07

Five and Dime Inflation
10/15/07

What to do with the rowdies?
10/8/07

The Wreck of the Lucinda Van Valkenburg
10/8/07

Master Birdman
10/1/07

Gazetteer
10/1/07

Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness
9/24/07

Maid of the Mist
9/170/07

Paul Bunyan
9/17/07

Do Not Remove
9/10/07

Waterless Niagara
9/10/07

The Sutherland Sisters
9/4/07

Grave Robbery
9/4/07

The Lumber City
8/27/07

Dance Hall Oddities
8/27/07

Niagara Falls Reservation State Park
8/20/07

The Human Fly
8/20/07

The Telegraph Connection
8/13/07

The Great Gorge Route
8/13/07

Olcott Beach Trolley and Hotel
8/6/07

A Counterfeiterís Plan
8/6/07

Holy Cows
7/30/07

The Brotherhoods
7/30/07

A Fish Story
7/23/07

Mrs. Trollope
7/23/07

Fire, Fire, Fire
7/16/07

Boys Will Be Boys
7/16/07

The Strap Railroad
7/9/07

Newspaper Rivalry
7/9/07

Horseless Carriages
7/2/07

Niagara joins all of America to celebrate its 120th birthday
7/2/07

A Winter Walk Across the Niagara River
6/25/07

Grand Balloon Ascension
6/25/07

For More Information: www.NiagaraHistory.org


Home | History | Events | Photos | Merchandise | Committee | Community Links | Sponsorship
©2007 Niagara County Bicentennial Committee | Web site design & maintenance by Jason Devald | Graphic Design